Thursday, November 3, 2011

Gratitude Day 3- Unselfish Children

Day 3: As you know, Halloween was just a couple of days ago, and like many other parents (mine included), I levied a hefty parent tax on Data and Worf's candy stash while they were sleeping (Yar was with her mother for Halloween and, like everything else, wasn't even allowed to bring any candy home with her). At least I THOUGHT it was hefty...

Data and Worf asked if they could sort their candy (Data is just as neurotic as me and Work wants to do everything the way Data does. It's cute really) and I was fine with that. Eventually however, one of them discovered that they only had one Almond Joy when they knew that they had received two. They came to me and asked if I knew what had happened to it. I explained the tax to them and they said "oh, ok" and went back to sorting.

Next thing I knew, they were both bringing me candy, explaining that, even though I had some already, they had so much that they felt I should have more (awww...). I gratefully accepted it, but they kept doing it. Eventually, I had to tell them to stop! I had quite the pile going on now (sad thing is that my pile had barely made a dent in the 15 lb combined total).

While I definitely don't need copious amounts of candy (and, honestly, neither do they), I am very grateful that my children are learning to think of others and not just themselves. It's nice to see lessons you have taught finally start to sink in.

No comments:

Post a Comment