Saturday, July 16, 2011

Scrappy Saturday - Dress Form

I have a confession to make: I am obsessed with upcycling right now. My poor husband probably thinks that I have gone crazy. I have dug through our closet I for anything that is outdated, ill-fitting, or otherwise shoved into the back of the closet. (I have a huge box of "supplies" now)

The only problem is that I don't always have the time or ability (I wear Geordi in a Moby wrap most of the time I am crafting) to fit my new creations on myself. So, during my obsessive hunting of DIY blogs, I came across a tutorial for making a custom dress form of duct tape. (Hooray for cheap alternatives!!) So I convinced Riker to let me go crazy and buy tons of duct tape, and then talked him into being my helper (lots of bribing him with back rubs).

I went the route of using cellophane and, as a piece of advice for anyone who chooses to do it, make sure the room is COLD. I wrapped myself up in the middle of the night when it was 73° and had the fan on and I was DRENCHED in sweat by the time I cut the thing off. But it was well worth it. For a minimal cost, I have an awesome dress form made just for me! Check it out:

That's right my friends. That bad boy is made out of DUCT TAPE! I bought a bunch of cheap tape because the tutorial didn't really specify how much to get. I wound up using 3 rolls of 40 yard grey tape and wrapped myself in 4 layers (I still think I should have done 5, but it was late) and 3 rolls of decorative tape to cover the finished product (totally optional as it is much pricier than grey, but looks SO much better! Plus, it helped keep the cheapy grey tape taped together, as it was having difficulty along the back seam once it was stuffed). I also used 3 old pillows to stuff it. Total cost? $15 including tax. WAY more affordable than the $100 adjustable form my sister bought years ago. (Another note: when the directions say wrap the mid-section snugly, they mean SNUG. I didn't do it tight enough and it shows. My belly doesnt really poke out that much).

So now I have a second me (if only it could clean the house too...) and, I have to admit, it is a little weird to see exactly how my body looks. Riker, on the other hand, says it looks really good and is begging me to make a leopard print bodysuit. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment