Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Weighty Wednesday-Healthy Me

Since I had a new baby nearly 5 months ago (has it really been 5 months already??) I have been like most other new moms and concerned with getting back in shape. Although I only put on 19 lbs when I was pregnant and then delivered a baby that was nearly 10 pounds (lucky me!), I was actually overweight when this all started. Now, while I am actually considerably lighter that when I got pregnant, (I actually weigh nearly 15 lbs less!!) I am still considered overweight for my size.

Don't get me wrong, I am not at all depressed by my weight and/or overall health. I actually have reached the point where I honestly don't care what my weight is. I care about being and feeling healthy and I am not there.

As soon as my dr cleared me to exercise again, I started doing P90X, which I got from my sister for Christmas. I LOVE it. The only problem that I have encountered is that it is an hour of my day EVERY day, which is sometimes hard to do with a newborn (you want me to do an hour of cardio at 5 am after going to bed at 11:30 and waking up 3 times to nurse?!? Forget it!)

P90X is an extreme workout when looked at as a whole, but when broken down into daily workouts, they are actually manageable. Riker used to be in the Marine Corps (he got out 2 years ago) and started the Classic routine. It whipped him pretty bad. So, I started on the Lean routine instead (besides I want to lose inches, not look like the govenator).

I will be honest, the first two weeks were awful. I didn't do every video, I was incredibly sore in places I didn't know existed, and I was worn out. I got discouraged and quit. After a few days, I noticed that I felt worse and I still wanted to get back in shape, so I started over. This time I managed 3 weeks. By the end of the 3rd week, I felt amazing. I was making it through every video and was actually able to do things I hadn't before (barely, but I could do it). However, life got in the way again and I wound up missing a few days. That turned into a week (it's amazing how much your body turns on you when you stop exercising), which turned into two...

Now, I feel icky again and not just because I am disappointed when I look at my body in the mirror. I feel lethargic and dull and I hate that feeling. So, I am going to start over. It will be interesting to see how this works with school starting next month (could be good, could be bad), but I will deal with that when I get to it. For now, I am just taking it one day at a time.

As a disclaimer, I am NOT one of those die-hard fitness gurus who hits the gym all the time. I am an average mom who has NEVER been considered "skinny" (or tall for that matter. Dang 5' 2"...) and has always been several steps behind the gurus. Just to prove it, I will be posting my measurements each week. Maybe I will even post a picture or two. (Ack! That's scary to see those... Hopefully it will get better!)

Today's measurements:
Waist: 31 in
Hips: 40 in
Weight: 142 lbs
Body Fat: 34%

Goal:
Waist: 28 in
Hips: 38 in
Weight: 125 lbs
Body Fat: 30%

No comments:

Post a Comment