Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tasty Tuesday- Tofu Cheesecake

Two posts in one day... Guess I'm off to a good start! (really, it's just that everybody is gone, the baby is sleeping, and I am avoiding housework)

Some of you may see the title of today's post and go running for the hills. Trust me, at one time I would have been there with you. However, this is one you may want to sit still for. :)

Last night, Riker and I went out to try a new restaurant. One of our favorite Japanese places, Mikuni's, opened a new location, and since we have been to many of their other locations, we figured we would go try it out. Instead of being our traditional sushi bar with a few amazing appetizers, their new location is more family based and their menu reflects that. Instead of pages of amazing rolls and nigiri, they focused on tapas and traditional Japanese entrees to be shared among a group. There were so many to choose from that we honestly sat there debating our order for nearly 20 minutes! We finally settled on Curried Rice, Salmon Carpaccio, and our regular order of Flaming Shrooms (absolutely amazing if you ask me).

Now, I am not one for curry, so Riker ate most of it, although I was pleasantly surprised by it. I was mildly disappointed with the salmon only because it lacked the WOW factor I have come to expect from Mikuni's. However, the dessert more than made up for it. We ordered a slice of the Tofu Cheesecake (we tend to order something way off in left field every time we go, just to keep things interesting). Now, I am a huge fan of cheesecake, but often tend to be disappointed when I order it at restaurants. They always seem to taste full of preservatives, almost fake. This was different. It came with a scoop of green tea ice cream that melded with the flavor of the cheesecake beautifully, and it was obviously fresh (not shipped in frozen). It had a pleasantly mild earthy taste. It did NOT taste like a plain cheesecake, but more like it was flavored with something. If I had not ordered it, I would have NEVER guessed that it was made out of TOFU! I was so impressed by it that after I got home, I promptly went searching for a recipe to try to make it myself. I have found two that seem promising. I am going to try one this week and see how it turns out (I can't talk myself into making two full cheesecakes in a week). Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment