Wednesday, August 22, 2012

First Check In

Last month, I decided that I was having a difficult time staying motivated and accountable for my workouts. (I finished the entire first month of Insanity, and didn't even post on my blog!) Plus, I had been having some shoulder issues since Thanksgiving and was getting frustrated with not being able to do normal daily tasks, let alone my exercises. So, I talked it over with Riker and hired myself a personal trainer. I was wary at first since I signed up for remote training at home (taking the kiddos to the gym during the summer sounded like a BRILLIANT idea...) and I worried that I would still fall short of my goals. I did. But, the nice thing about getting a personal trainer is that I was able to tell her what my specific goals were and she could tailor a workout to MY body and MY goals. It was a lot different from what I had been doing before, and it included workouts specifically for my rotator cuff that was having problems.

I haven't posted about this before because I wanted to see how it went this first month before I really said anything. Today was my first check in/ weigh in since i started, so I figured now was as good a time as any.

My starting measurements:
Date: 7/17/12
Weight: 140.8 (ugh)
Bodyfat: 16.3% (WAY better than I expected)
Waist: 31
Hips: 38.25
Chest: 29.5
Arms: 10/10.5
Thigh:21

If you notice my last weigh in amounts, some of these numbers were a bit higher. I was pretty bummed. My new schedule had me doing a series of weight lifting sessions and 30-45 min of cardio 5 days a week. The first week, I thought I was going to die. Nearly every workout EVERY day had squats involved. By day 3, I was pulling myself up the stairs by the railing and dragging my legs behind me like I was paralyzed. (seriously, no joke. Riker was worried. I thought I was dying lol) By the end of the week, my shoulder didn't hurt for the first time in EIGHT months. It was sore from exercise, but it didn't HURT like it had before.

Week 2, I missed 2 days, but muscled through the other 3 as best I could. Week 3, I did every day, but no cardio and kind of wussed out on the weight lifting sets, only doing 2 sets instead of 3. I didn't know what was up, but I was super weak that whole week and had a hard time finishing a workout. A couple of times during these 3 weeks, I literally fell asleep laying on the floor between sets, I was SO exhausted. Week 4, I was busy getting the kids ready to start school and my schedule was a mess. I didn't work out AT ALL. Lame. Finally, last week, I had a rough time dealing with the new schedule, trying to stay on top of making lunches everyday (this is a new thing for our family this year), Tasha's birthday party, preparing a talk for church, and my ex sending me hostile emails every day. I missed my workouts again. Plus, I ate way off my normal menu plan several days, including cake, burgers and a pizza. 

Monday morning rolled around and it was time to face the music. I was super worried since the last 2 weeks had been so terrible. I was honestly afraid that I had gained weight. But, my fears were misplaced. Despite my shortcomings this month, I actually made some progress. More actually than I have in a while.

This month's measurements:
Date: 8/20/12
Weight: 138.4 (not much, but it was entirely fat!)
Bodyfat: 15.3%
Waist: 27.75 (yeah buddy! that is 3.25 inches lost!)
Hips: 37
Chest: 29.125
Arms: 10.25/11 (apparently I want this number to go up. Good to know)
Thigh: 20.25
Total lost: 2.5 lbs fat and 5.5 inches

I will take it!! My goal for next month is to lose 4 lbs of fat. That seems simple enough. I'm hoping that since the kids are in school now, I will be more able to exercise during Geordi's nap in the afternoon. Cross our fingers and see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment