Tuesday, August 14, 2012

You Are What You Eat

(I'm hoping that means I'm healthy :P)

A couple of weeks ago, I posted this on my Facebook page:
I honestly did it just because I was so proud of myself for coming in under budget AND healthy, but apparently there was quite an interest in how I did it. So, I went through the 2 week menu that I had planned, made some tweaks, and made up a master shopping list that wasn't covered in my notes.

My kids like the vast majority of these recipes, although there are some that one or two people don't necessarily care for. Our rule is you eat what you're given, so they eat it anyway. We are a family of 6: 2 adults and 4 kids, with one being a toddler. Nobody is hungry and we occasionally have leftovers.

A few quick disclaimers:
*My menu starts on Thursday because I go shopping after Cub Scouts on Wednesdays. My display menu on my fridge starts on Sunday. Also, I only go to the grocery store twice a month for groceries, so this is a big list
*I already had several things on hand so that reduced my cost. If you are buying everything on the list (including the pantry items), your up front cost is going to be higher
*You will notice a few "processed" items on the list (ie. jar of spaghetti sauce, pkg of fajita seasoning), but I try to find ones that do not have any artificial ingredients in them. I also make several of my ingredients myself so that I can benefit from the convenience without suffering the horrors of preservatives :D
*As of right now, I am not including recipes (I know, what is the point of having a menu with no recipes?). They are next on my (HUGE) list of things to do, but I wanted to get back to everyone's questions quickly.

So, without further ado:



I promise that I will get the recipes typed up as soon as I can. In the meantime, I welcome any feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment