Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Homemade Mayo

 
When I was in college, I had the opportunity to go to Paris for an exchange program. The first time I ordered a turkey sandwich, I was a little weirded out by this light yellow stuff they were slathering on my precious Parisian bread. I was so worried that it was some weird mayo/mustard mixture (I hate mustard!) but I really wanted my sandwich so I decided I would choke it down anyway. Little did I know that it was actually MAYONNAISE! They made it fresh every morning. None of this pre-packaged, white, flavorless nonsense. I should have known better, being in France and all, but I had no idea that making mayo was that easy!

 If you have never made your own mayonnaise, you are seriously missing out. The stuff you get on the shelf just doesn't hold a candle to it. 

1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard powder
2 tsp lemon juice
1 T white vinegar
1 c olive oil

Place egg and lemon juice into a food processor. Cover,and blend until frothy; keep food processor running. Drizzle in olive oil drop by drop, through the drip hole in the top until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate mayo in a sealed container for up to 1 week.

The best part about making your own mayo (other than the obvious taste difference) is that you can flavor it however you want. My favorite way is to dump some chipotle powder in it and let it sit overnight before using it. It is our favorite stand-by mayo for sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment