Monday, September 17, 2012

How to Remove Spray Paint From a Mirror

I got a great deal on a dresser/mirror set for Tasha several months ago (by great deal, I mean the neighbors were getting rid of it and let us take it for free) and figured the easiest way to update it and hide the stains/scratches/etc was to spray paint it (I tried gel stain first and it was a depressingly utter disaster). I know, I should have taken before and after pictures and I fully intended to take a before picture and kept forgetting as I started, head-first into each project (it's a curse, really).

Anyway, I got the dresser and nightstand all done and got lazy with the mirror. I didn't bother taping it at all. I just laid some paper over the mirror itself and figured that would do the trick....

Nope.

Here's what happened:

 The majority of the mirror looks like that (although the edges look even worse from the epic gel stain failure).


I tried to scrape the paint off with a razor blade, and, although it did the work on the gel stain (and took forever), the amount of spray paint and the size of the mirror made the razor essentially useless.

Luckily, Almighty Google came to my rescue and led me to Young & Crafty, where a similar case of laziness (though not as severe as mine) had led to a mishap as well. She recommended nail polish remover. I was skeptical, as was she, but after a LOT of scrubbing and a couple of ventilation breaks, the mirror looks brand new! Hooray!

















And here is the finished product hanging up in Tasha's room. She loves it and I am so glad to have it finally done and put up (it sat in the back yard for nearly 2 months! eek!)

No comments:

Post a Comment