Saturday, September 15, 2012

Organize My Life! (or at least all my daughter's hair accessories)

This one is my favorite so far
Anyone that is friends with me on Facebook has seen all the cute hairstyles I have done on Tasha's hair over the last year or so. What they haven't seen is the massive amounts of hair accessories that have taken over my bathroom (mine included!). All that girly-ness has been grating on Riker, although he has kept it to himself for the most part. Luckily, he doesn't spend that much time in the bathroom, so the 3 cupboards, a drawer and a medicine cabinet filled with all of my magic tools, gels and sprays doesn't have THAT much time to irritate him... until it adds up...

So...

I decided that I was going to buy Tasha an accessory organizer. They have been all over Pinterest, but I was too lazy to make some cute, fabric/batting/ribbon board. I found one at Walmart the other day, but wasn't really impressed by it. Plus it cost $10! Seriously, I know I could make one for less than that (but how to do it and still be lazy? lol).

Here's my inspiration:


Here's what I came up with:


It wasn't nearly large enough to hold ALL of our accessories, but then again, I still haven't figured out the best way to include all of the little clipies and rubber bands we usually use. Either way, this gets most of the bulk out of my bathroom.

I only spent $3 on this to buy the white knobs. The rest I did using supplies I already had laying around. Want to see?

Here we go!


I started with a shelf from an old broken bookcase (yes I have a pile of shelves in my garage) which I had spray painted to match Tasha's dresser
a 2 pack of cabinet knobs
two coordinating ribbons at least 3/4" wide.
sticky velcro
scissors
hot glue gun
sharpie


For fun, I drew a bunch of scrolls on the board with a sharpie. I think they turned out really great, but you can't really see them once you put all the ribbon on.

You attach 3 or 4 strips of ribbon to one half of the board, wrapping the ends over the edges and gluing them in back ONLY. Attach the knobs to the opposite side of the board. I added an additional strip of ribbon to the knob half, but in loops for the headbands. Because Tasha has so many elastic headbands, I cut the top ribbon and attached sticky velcro to both sides.


There you have it. Not the most detailed tutorial, but I didn't take a lot of pictures in the FIFTEEN minutes that it took me to make this. Hopefully it gets the job done!


1 comment: