Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tara's Pancake Mix

Growing up in an LDS ward in Utah, there were a lot of Pancake Breakfasts at the church. I mean a LOT. For many years, I had to choke down the nastiness that is Krusteaz pancakes. (ugh I still shudder). Luckily, one of my parent's friends hated them as much as I did and set out to create a large bulk mix that wound up being used at every church breakfast since (that was over a decade ago). I have since modified his recipe to my own personal taste (the original used just plain white flour and sugar) and scaled the recipe from it's original 5 gallon bucket size, to one that fits perfectly in a Tupperware container in my cupboard.

Tara's Pancake Mix (adapted from Jon Buxton's Pickle Barrel Pancakes)

5 c white wheat flour
2 1/2 c red wheat flour
1 c oat flour
1/2 c flaxseed meal
4 T baking powder

Mix all ingredients thoroughly and store in an air tight container in a cool, dark place.

To make pancakes:
to 1 c mix, add:

1 egg
1 T oil
1 c milk
2 1/.2 T honey

makes approx. 12 pancakes and serves 3-4

My kids love to top these with unsweetened applesauce. Sometimes I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder and they are good enough to eat plain. We have added chocolate chips, cocoa powder, fruit, and/or nuts. This is an incredibly adaptable mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment