Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Homemade Microwave Popcorn

I came across this blog post one day that really opened my eyes to the ickyness that is microwave popcorn. I have never really cared for microwave popcorn (especially that nasty "butter" crap) and really liked using the air popper I had, until my ex made off with it in the divorce (in his defense, it was a present for him). I considered getting a new one, but didn't want to store yet another appliance. Pinterest to the rescue! Now I know that I can just make my kid's obsessive popcorn dreams come true, in the microwave, without a bunch of artificial crap, in a PAPER BAG! Now, you can too!

Go to the grocery store and locate a package of cheap brown lunch bags and a bag of plain ol' kernels:

I have purchased Jolly Time, Great Value and no-name bulk with great success with all of them. You COULD buy name brand (Orville Redenbacher, etc) if you want, but I find that the cheaper generics work just as well.  You only need 1/2 c per bag, so this bag will last you for a while!

Here comes the magical part:

Put the 1/2 c popcorn inside the paper bag and fold the top over twice. Don't seal it with anything, it will be just fine on it's own. Now set it UPRIGHT in your microwave and run it for 3 minutes on high.

Ta-da!
 http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JuVGSsauPhM/T9LVOm7lycI/AAAAAAAAAMw/mjBaOQ8Czt0/s1600/popcorn.jpg
Perfectly naked popcorn. Just the way I like it! If your kids insist on butter, just melt a couple of tablespoons and drizzle over the top. Or, if you like it seasoned, try a few of these ideas:

  • Mexican: Add chili powder, hot sauce, and salt.
  • Garlic and Onion: Shake in onion powder and garlic powder — hold the kiss.
  • Cheesy: Mix in Parmesan cheese with a little salt.
  • Sweet Tooth: A dash of cinnamon, a sprinkle of sugar, and a topper of honey. Now that’s money.


No comments:

Post a Comment